It is not enough to have quality leather materials, you also need to give a proper care for the longevity of these items. This is what we take you through via this Article.
Leather is one of the most popular and practical materials that will serve you faithfully with proper care and storage. How to do and organize all this? Catch a fashion cheat sheet that tells you how to choose the right leather products, and how to handle them in order to preserve their shine and gloss for many years 👇
How to choose leather things?
You know perfectly well that among any products there are both high-quality and not so much. The best natural leather items should be made of a thick material that does not break and retains its color without much effort. Also pay attention to the appearance of the skin: it should not be a perfectly even color. It’s a natural material!
As for eco-leather, when choosing, pay attention to products that are made of a single, single-layer material. Such things will definitely not be stratified and will be able to serve you for several seasons.
How to store?
Storage is one of the most important stages of taking care of leather products. To avoid creases, cracks and scratches on any skin (both natural and artificial), store the products in separate bags made of soft natural fabric. No plastic bags! Things can “suffocate” in them.
It is better to hang a leather jacket on a hanger and throw a cover on it, you can put the bag in a canvas bag and send it to the shelf, and fill the shoes with crumpled paper inside and put them in a box. This way the skin will retain its shape and will definitely not deteriorate.
How to clean?
Another important stage is purification. Genuine leather does not like water, so the best washing for it is a wet cloth or sponge. Wipe the products as they become dirty, but do not try to polish the shoes and bag every time to a dazzling shine. Such a zeal for cleanliness can have a deplorable effect on the material.
Eco-leather is more tolerant to water, so often clothes and shoes from it can even be washed. But before doing this, carefully study the label on the item and the requirements for its care. Most often, such products need to be washed in the “delicate washing” mode at a minimum temperature and a small number of revolutions.
How to dry safely?
If you got caught in the rain in your leather shoes, don’t worry. A good material will definitely not deteriorate from moisture. Just remember a few simple life hacks that will help you dry it properly:
Do not put the product near the battery or heaters, because of too high a temperature, the skin may crack.
It is better to wipe your shoes or bag with a dry cloth and leave them to dry at room temperature.
Eco-leather requires similar care: do not abuse too high temperatures for drying and wear things with pleasure.
Detailed ways you can dry your leather materials
- Air drying: The safest way to dry leather is to allow it to air dry naturally. Avoid using direct heat sources, such as radiators, hair dryers, or heaters, as the intense heat can cause leather to dry too quickly and become stiff, brittle, or warped.
Instead, hang or lay the leather item in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight, and allow it to air dry at room temperature. Avoid excessive moisture, and do not wring or twist the leather, as it can distort its shape.
- Blotting: If the leather item has become wet or damp, gently blot the excess moisture with a clean, absorbent cloth or towel. Do not rub vigorously, as it can damage the leather surface or spread the moisture further. Blotting helps to remove excess water and accelerate the drying process, but be sure not to overdo it.
- Stuffing: For leather items such as shoes or bags that have become wet, you can stuff them with crumpled newspapers or clean, dry towels to help absorb moisture from the inside. This can help the item maintain its shape and speed up the drying process.
- Condition after drying: Once the leather item is fully dry, it’s important to condition it to replenish the natural oils and keep it soft and supple. Use a leather conditioner that is specifically formulated for the type of leather you are dealing with, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
- Seek professional help if needed: If your leather item is valuable, delicate, or has extensive damage, it’s best to consult a professional leather cleaner or restorer for proper drying and restoration techniques.
How to keep the shine and color?
Any skin can lose its luster over time. Especially this item concerns shoes. In order to preserve the appearance of the product, there are a huge number of tools that it would be nice to understand.
For genuine leather:
Special lotions for the skin protect it from moisture and give it shine. The product can be used for shoes, bags and other things made of genuine leather.
Balms — light moisturizing, like a face cream. With the help of the balm, you can both thoroughly cleanse the skin and give the material elasticity and firmness.
Aerosols and creams are the most powerful tool that can be useful to you only after a few years of use. With the help of them, you will be able to return the color even to the most worn bag. But remember that this remedy is very caustic and toxic.
It’s easier with artificial materials. Eco-leather, like natural leather, should be regularly cleaned and wiped with dry wipes from moisture. As additional means, you can choose a water-repellent impregnation and a light lotion that will give shine to the product.
In conclusion, proper leather care involves a combination of routine cleaning, conditioning, and protection measures to safeguard your leather items and maintain their quality. By adhering to best practices and avoiding common pitfalls, you can ensure that your leather belongings remain in excellent condition and stand the test of time.
So, show your leather some love by giving it the care it deserves, and you’ll enjoy the benefits of its longevity, durability, and enduring style for years to come.